I used to live in Brooklyn and run free among hipsters. Now I live in a factory city in Korea. I still dig me some fresh tunes.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Handwritten Heartbreak


Wanted to stretch things out a bit on this one, so including a 10 minute remix of Spacemen 3's "Big City," and two versions of the same song by The Greg Foal Group, I also have two songs I let run over into instrumental bits as they appear on their original albums, and "Cradle" by Dreamscape, which extends a couple minutes longer than it's end time.

The Greg Foal Group -- The Girl And Robot With Flowers Pt 1 

I don't usually listen to jazz, especially contemporary jazz. But this song really caught my ear when I came across it on Mixcloud and next thing I knew I was also including Part 6 at the end.

Alessi Brothers -- Seabird 

Another Mixcloud find, this off a mix done by Nite Jewel for FACT magazine. A lot of delightful weirdness going on here in what I'm guessing was originally a song meant for AM commercial radio.

Naomi Punk -- The Spell/ClS + Death Junket

When all was said and done, probably my #1 or #2 album of 2012. Didn't seem to get a lot of attention on those sorts of lists, but somehow reminds me of the glory days of spazzy northwest punk like Lync, Karp and Unwound.

Dreamscape -- Cradle

An obscure shoegaze time capsule find reissued. Love it. Ought to have been a classic of the era.

Magic Touch and Sapphire -- When I See You

Another great single from 100% Silk that makes me continue to wonder why I started to like house music just as I was entering the phase of life in which one would never ever encounter a club.

3B Unit -- Tango in the Rain

From an obscure Italian cassette only release uploaded to Crispy Nuggets. Poor sound quality, but I like what that does for it.

Spacemen 3 -- Big City (remix)

I remember really hating this song, especially the opening, when it came out, but it's ended up being one of my favorite songs by the band off what I think is its best album. This one goes on a bit, but I like the way it fits on this mix. Recently posted here.

Girls Names -- The New Life

Excellent new song by a band I haven't heard much of anything bad from. Another one that goes on a bit but really doesn't get tired. Off a 12" by Slumberland.

Christopher Owens -- Lysandre's Theme/Here We Go

Former leader of Girls off what is revealing itself on repeated listens to be a truly amazing album.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra -- Sleep and Swim (Like a Shark Does)

Kind of bums me out when I choose a song for a mix and it ends up as the single off the album. I'm realizing that's the case with the Owens track above, which even includes the interlude that precedes the song, just as I have it. Oh well.

The Greg Foal Group -- The Girl And Robot With Flowers Pt 6 

Turns out this group is hailed by Gilles Peterson, whose path I don't encounter often, but always like when I do. There are actually six versions of this song on the single, which I believe was released as a 10".

The Pastels -- Ugly Town

Not originally included on this mix, but was recently uploaded by I Was a Teenage Shoegazer and is thus on my current playlist. I usually think of this as a pivotal album for me, but its mostly a pivotal song "Nothing to be Done," which I'd have to put in some sort of Top 15-20 ever. So I'm actually kind of discovering parts of this album for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment