I used to live in Brooklyn and run free among hipsters. Now I live in a factory city in Korea. I still dig me some fresh tunes.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Moose 3EPs

When I was in high school my friend and I would get somewhat competitive about music, unfortunately. When one of us discovered a band for the first time and championed it, the other had no choice but to either bow to the other's prowess at discovering bands nobody knew about, or reject it, therefore validating our own ability. To this day I still wonder if this has something to do with me never having gotten into Joy Division.

But Moose's Jack EP transcended our little game. My friend and I were both dying to hear it, having read about it in Melody Maker, but somehow he got it first. Undeniably, it fucking ruled. Band name, artwork, and the tunes...it was the total package, and it arguably got better on the Cool Breeze EP before finally stumbling a little on Reprise.

Moose ended up going in a very different direction for the duration of it's career (four albums), but that music was often quite wonderful, and sadly, completely overlooked. However, that music never had the edge, and really, sex appeal if I may say, of the first 2 1/4 EPs. Go get Moose's 3 EPs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment